Models made by Airbrushheaven staff

Models made by Airbrushheaven staff

Friday 23 October 2015

1:12 Tamiya Porsche 910 :- 12- Fixing build & kit issues


Going to leave the chassis for a while to sort out faults with some parts & kit mould marks before I get to work on the rest of the build.

One major problem is the pipes for cooling the brakes & gearbox in section 8.  When I did a test fit I could see there was gap between to 2 halves, but only when they were glued together could I see how bad it was as shown in the picture below.

Large gap in part on Tamiya Porsche 910


There may be other ways to repair this, but I put a couple of thin strips of plastic card into the hole to narrow the gap, then using thick gap filling superglue put some in to part fill the hole in.  When dry I put a bit more in to just above the good part of the pipe, then gave it a light sand to re-form the shape of the pipe.

Repaired intake pipe on Tamiya Porsche 910



Once I had the basic shape I used both medium & thin superglue where needed on the rest of the pipes to produce a smooth finish.  After sanding one of the thin glue stages I checked on how it was going by my usual technique of putting some paint on the pipe to show any areas that still required work. 

Test painted intake on Tamiya Porsche 910

After 2 layers of the thin glue I had got the pipes to how I liked & then gave then a final coat of Matt Sea Grey (Humbrol 27).
Primed air intake on Tamiya Porsche 910
The bonnet & roof sections (J10 & J12) have very large round mould marks that needed some filler, then thin superglue treatment to make a smoother appearance.

Roof & bonnet repair to Tamiya Porsche 910

Now comes another case of bad fitting.  When doing a test fitting of the air intakes that feed to the ill fitting earlier pipes there was a very large gap between the body & pipe when fitted in the correct position. 
Using various thicknesses of plastic strip ranging from 0.5 X 4.5mm down to 0.25 X 0.5mm I started to carefully build up a piece to fit the gap.  Between each layer I did a test fit to see how it was going & what still needed to be done.

Fixing gap in air intake on Tamiya Porsche 910

When I had got as close to the desired look possible with my skills I trimmed off all the excess pieces of card to give me the final filling piece.  As you can see the LHS & RHS are different showing how poor the fit is on the model.

Completed filler part for intake on Tamiya Porsche 910

The bridging pieces were then glued into place & a final coat of thin superglue & sanding to make a very nice smooth appearance.
Close up of fininshed repair to intake on Tamiya Porsche 910.

No comments:

Post a Comment